Zantac, a popular heartburn drug used by millions of Americans, may cause stomach cancer. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recalled Zantac after discovering dangerous levels of a carcinogen in the medication.
If you developed stomach cancer after taking Zantac, you deserve justice. At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, our Zantac lawsuit attorneys are dedicated to fighting for the rights of injured Zantac patients. Our Zantac stomach cancer lawyers can represent your claim against the drug’s manufacturers and secure the compensation that you deserve.
Why Choose Us for Your Zantac Stomach Cancer Lawsuit
- The product liability lawyers at our law firm specialize in dangerous and defective product litigation and has represented several Zantac patients in their lawsuits against the drug’s manufacturer.
- Our injury attorneys are dedicated to securing maximum compensation for our clients nationwide. In a five-year period alone, we recovered over $500 million in settlements and jury verdicts.
- We take cases on a contingency fee basis. If we do not recover an award in your case, you will not be charged any legal fees.
Can Zantac Cause Stomach Cancer?
Zantac was a prescription and over-the-drug medication that was used to treat conditions like heartburn, acid reflux, and stomach ulcers. It was also sold under the generic name ranitidine. Multiple manufacturers produced Zantac, including Sanofi, Mylan, and Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
In April 2020, the FDA recalled Zantac after it discovered that dangerous levels of a substance called N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) were present in the medication. NDMA is a contaminant that is used to induce tumors in laboratory animals.
The FDA discovered that NDMA impurities in Zantac greatly exceeded the safe limit for human consumption. Additionally, NDMA increases in Zantac over time and when it is stored at high temperatures. Many Zantac patients have developed serious and life-threatening conditions since taking this medication, including stomach cancer.
What Are the Symptoms of Stomach Cancer?
Stomach cancer, also known as gastric cancer, is a condition that can develop along any part of the stomach. Like many types of cancer, symptoms of stomach cancer may not appear until the disease has progressed into later stages.
Below are some of the most common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer:
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Unintentional weight loss
- Feeling bloated after eating
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling full after eating small amounts
Are You Eligible for a Zantac Stomach Cancer Lawsuit?
Stomach cancer can disrupt your life. You may experience financial hardship and emotional trauma in addition to the physical impact of the disease. If you believe that your Zantac use is linked to your stomach cancer diagnosis, you deserve justice.
In these situations, you have the right to file a lawsuit against Zantac’s manufacturers. By filing a Zantac cancer claim, you could recover compensation to help pay for your medical care, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
You may qualify for a Zantac stomach cancer lawsuit if you meet the following criteria:
- You used to take prescription or over-the-cancer Zantac for at least one year.
- You were diagnosed with stomach cancer.
- At least one year has passed between the date that you started to take Zantac and the date of your cancer diagnosis.
If you believe that you qualify for a lawsuit against Zantac’s manufacturers, speak to an attorney at Estey & Bomberger, LLP. Our Zantac injury lawyers can assess your case and help you understand your options for financial compensation.
Compensation Available in a Zantac Stomach Cancer Lawsuit
You have the right to hold Zantac’s manufacturers accountable for the losses that you suffered due to your stomach cancer. There are two categories of damages that you can claim in a Zantac lawsuit: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages involve your financial losses. On the other hand, non-economic damages refer to the physical and emotional pain and suffering that you endured. Below are some of the common types of damages available in a stomach cancer lawsuit:
- All past and future medical expenses related to your stomach cancer
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings if you are unable to return to work
- Disability accommodations, such as mobility equipment
- Rehabilitation and other types of specialized treatments
- Chronic pain, permanent disability, and other types of physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, depression, anxiety, loss of quality of life, and other forms of emotional pain and suffering
It is important to recover the full extent of these losses so that you can avoid financial hardship later on. However, it can be difficult to calculate your your damages alone. In these situations, you may require an attorney’s assistance.
At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, your Zantac stomach cancer attorney will evaluate all possible avenues to compensation and accurately estimate your potential award.
The Statute of Limitations for Zantac Cancer Claims
Depending on where you live, you may only have a few years to pursue a Zantac cancer lawsuit. There is a law known as the statute of limitations, which sets a filing deadline for certain types of claims. If you do not file your lawsuit by the appropriate deadline, the court may dismiss your case.
Different states have different filing deadlines for Zantac claims:
- If you live in California, you have two years from the date of your stomach cancer diagnosis to file your lawsuit.
- If you live in Washington, you also have two years from the date of your diagnosis to file, but you cannot file more than 12 years after you initially purchased Zantac.
- If you live in Nevada, you must file your lawsuit within four years from the date of your diagnosis.
- If you live in Montana, you must file your claim within three years from the date of your diagnosis.
There are certain exceptions to these deadlines, which can vary based on where you live. However, you should initiate your case as soon as possible to protect your right to compensation. As soon as possible following your diagnosis, speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact Zantac Cancer Lawyers at Estey & Bomberger, LLP Today
If you were diagnosed with stomach cancer after taking Zantac, you may be eligible for financial compensation. In these situations, trust the Zantac injury attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP to fight for your right to justice.
Contact us today to schedule your free consultation with one of our Zantac stomach cancer attorneys. Our firm will carefully evaluate your case and help you identify your optimal path to recovery. Our team of injury attorneys represent dangerous drug and defective medical product cases nationwide. Call (800) 260-7197 to find out how our firm can help your case.