The Gardasil vaccine is perceived by many as a safe, routine option to prevent conditions like cervical cancer. Over the years, however, numerous cases have emerged revealing severe and unexpected health complications linked to this vaccine. Victims and their families are often left grappling with health problems and financial difficulties, leading to lifelong effects.
If you have suffered due to the Gardasil HPV vaccine, the attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP can help. With our specialized knowledge and deep expertise, our lawyers will fight to hold Gardasil’s manufacturer accountable and recover a fair settlement to pay for your losses. Reach out to us today and take your first steps toward justice.
Why Choose Our Attorneys for Your Gardasil Lawsuit?
- With over 20 years of legal experience, the attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP have a proven track record of success. We have recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
- Our firm specializes in cases related to defective products, drugs, and medical devices. Our mission is to prevent large companies from taking advantage of consumers, and our specialized product liability attorneys will fight to hold Merck accountable for Gardasil-related injuries.
- We prioritize open and honest communication with our clients. Your attorney will work with you every step of the way, ensuring that you are informed and updated about the status of your claim.
What Is the Gardasil HPV Vaccine?
The Gardasil vaccine is specifically designed to protect against the human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV is a group of related viruses transmitted through skin-to-skin contact or sexual activity, the majority of which do not cause any symptoms in humans.
However, some strains of HPV are linked to certain cancers, such as cervical cancer, and other conditions like genital warts. The Gardasil vaccine intends to immunize individuals against these high-risk strains, aiming to reduce the rate of these medical conditions.
Why Are People Filing Lawsuits Against Merck?
In 2006, pharmaceutical corporation Merck received fast-track approval for Gardasil from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Some advocates have expressed concerns that, during this swift approval process, important details about the vaccine’s safety and efficacy were not fully disclosed. Allegations have surfaced suggesting that Merck may not have provided complete or comprehensive investigations and studies during both the pre-approval and post-approval stages.
Further, it is alleged that Merck’s clinical trials didn’t focus on Gardasil’s potential to directly prevent cancer. Instead, they were centered on the vaccine’s ability to prevent conditions that might precede cancer. Some critics argue that the data presented implied a direct link between these precursor conditions and cancer, potentially leading to misconceptions.
Prior to the introduction of Gardasil, public knowledge of HPV was not as widespread as it is today. As part of its marketing strategy, Merck is said to have embarked on a campaign to raise awareness about HPV, which was followed by aggressive marketing of Gardasil. Some critics assert that the marketing campaigns may have exerted undue pressure on parents, suggesting that responsible parenting equated to vaccinating their children with Gardasil.
Throughout these promotional efforts, concerns have arisen that Merck might have downplayed potential risks associated with the HPV vaccine while overstating its benefits.
The Gardasil HPV Vaccine May Cause Serious Autoimmune Conditions
Emerging scientific studies have suggested that there might be a correlation between the Gardasil vaccine and an increased risk of certain autoimmune disorders. These medical conditions can have a devastating effect on your quality of life, causing symptoms like chronic pain, limited mobility, and loss of sensation.
Here are some of the disorders that have been linked to Gardasil:
- Guillain-Barré Syndrome: This is a rare neurological disorder where the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the peripheral nerves, leading to muscle weakness and sometimes paralysis.
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS): POTS is a condition where standing up from a lying down position causes an abnormally large increase in heart rate. This can lead to symptoms such as dizziness and fainting.
- Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy: This is a neurological disorder characterized by progressive weakness and impaired sensory function in the legs and arms due to nerve damage.
- Multiple Sclerosis: A chronic autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system, multiple sclerosis can lead to fatigue, difficulty walking, and muscle spasms among other symptoms.
- Fibromyalgia: This condition is characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory, and mood issues.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: This disorder is characterized by prolonged and debilitating tiredness or fatigue that doesn’t improve with rest.
- Premature Ovarian Failure: This condition involves the loss of normal ovarian function before the age of 40, which can lead to infertility, hot flashes, and missed periods.
If you develop symptoms of an autoimmune condition, seek medical attention as soon as possible. After diagnosing the disorder, your medical team can help develop a treatment plan to alleviate these symptoms and help you adjust to a new way of living.
Gardasil May Increase the Risk of Cervical Cancer
Despite the intention of preventing cervical cancer, some data suggests that Gardasil might inadvertently increase its risk. Recent studies, including a notable one from the CDC, indicate that by suppressing certain HPV strains, the Gardasil vaccine might foster mutagenetic changes in the virus that could result in cancer.
After Gardasil’s introduction in Britain, cervical cancer rates surged among young women aged 25 to 29. Government data from Australia also shows an increase in cervical cancer rates, especially among younger women.
Cervical cancer is a serious medical condition. It may not show any symptoms in its early stages, but as it progresses, the following symptoms may develop:
- Watery, bloody vaginal discharge that may have a foul smell
- Pain in the pelvis or pain during intercourse
- Vaginal bleeding after intercourse, after menopause, or between periods
- Menstrual bleeding that is heavier and lasts for a longer time than normal
Treatment for cervical cancer may involve multiple approaches tailored to the stage of the cancer. Often, radiation therapy and chemotherapy are used to stop the spread of cancer cells. Surgical procedures may also be required, such as a cone biopsy, hysterectomy, or uterus removal. These aggressive treatments, combined with the physical and emotional toll of cervical cancer, can greatly impact your daily life.
What Is the Current Status of Gardasil Lawsuits?
As awareness about potential complications from the Gardasil vaccine spreads, an increasing number of individuals are seeking legal action against Merck, the manufacturer of the vaccine. Currently, the bulk of these Gardasil lawsuits have been consolidated into what is known as multidistrict litigation (MDL). This procedure combines many lawsuits with similar factual allegations to expedite the legal process.
If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition, cervical cancer, or any other ailment that you believe links back to the Gardasil vaccine, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. The Gardasil lawsuit attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP can assess your case and provide clarity regarding your situation. If you qualify for litigation, we can help you initiate your claim and take your first steps toward justice.
What Compensation Is Available in a Gardasil Lawsuit?
When pursuing compensation in a Gardasil lawsuit, you can typically claim damages that fall into one of two primary categories: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages refer to tangible, quantifiable financial losses that can be directly attributed to the injury, such as medical bills or lost wages. On the other hand, non-economic damages are intangible and relate to the pain, suffering, and emotional distress the injury has caused.
One of the most immediate and noticeable impacts of an illness related to the Gardasil HPV vaccine is the accumulation of medical expenses. This includes bills for hospital stays, surgeries, physical therapy, and any medications or treatments prescribed to address the illness’s symptoms.
In a Gardasil lawsuit, you can claim past medical costs that you have already incurred, as well as future medical expenses. The latter takes into account the estimated cost of ongoing treatments, medications, and any anticipated surgeries or procedures needed in the future due to the injury.
Lost Wages and Future Earnings
In addition to medical bills, many people affected by the Gardasil vaccine experience a loss of income. Some plaintiffs experience a reduction in their working capacity or are unable to work at all. This can be due to hospitalizations, ongoing medical treatments, or the long-term effects of the illness.
When filing a lawsuit, you can recover compensation for the wages that you have already lost as well as the future earnings that you would have earned if you did not develop the medical condition. Estimating lost future earnings requires a careful examination of your career trajectory, potential promotions, and raises, as well as any limitations the injury might impose on your capacity to work.
Pain and Suffering
A chronic medical condition can cause financial burdens, but this is far from the only consequence. In a Gardasil lawsuit, you can recover compensation for pain and suffering, which encompasses the physical and emotional turmoil that you have experienced. This could manifest as chronic pain, permanent disability, loss of quality of life, or even the onset of mental health disorders like depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
Calculating compensation for pain and suffering can be complex, as it’s challenging to assign a monetary value to such intangible experiences. Your attorney from Estey & Bomberger, LLP can leverage common tactics to determine this portion of your award and fight for your right to maximum compensation.
Why You Need a Gardasil HPV Vaccine Lawsuit Attorney
If you believe that you qualify for a Gardasil lawsuit, you need an attorney on your side. Navigating these cases alone can be a challenging process, but with legal representation, you gain the support and advocacy that you need to build a robust case.
Hiring a Gardasil HPV vaccine lawyer from Estey & Bomberger, LLP can provide several benefits to your case, such as:
- Expertise in Cases Involving Medical Products: The attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP are well-versed in the complexities surrounding Gardasil HPV vaccine cases. With our knowledge and expertise, we can help you navigate the legal intricacies and ensure that your rights are protected.
- Thorough Investigation: Our firm is committed to conducting a comprehensive investigation into your case. We will gather the necessary evidence, speak with medical experts, and build a strong case to prove your right to a fair settlement.
- Negotiation Prowess: Facing large corporations and insurance companies alone can be daunting. Our attorneys have a track record of successfully negotiating with these entities and will leverage their skills to advocate for your best interests.
- Trial Experience: If your case goes to trial, you want experienced litigators on your side. Our firm has a history of representing clients in court and will champion your right to compensation in front of a judge or jury.
- Personalized Approach: At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, we believe every client is unique. Our attorneys will tailor their approach based on your specific needs, making sure that you receive the individual attention your case requires.
How Long Do You Have to File a Gardasil HPV Vaccine Lawsuit?
The timeframe within which you can file a Gardasil HPV vaccine lawsuit, known as the statute of limitations, can vary significantly from state to state. This timeframe is crucial because, once it expires, you may lose the right to pursue legal action and recover compensation—regardless of the merits of your case.
In these situations, it is important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. A Gardasil lawsuit attorney from Estey & Bomberger, LLP can provide clarity on the statute of limitations that applies to your case, given your state’s regulations. If you qualify for a lawsuit, we will help you move your case forward before the deadline passes.
Contact Estey & Bomberger, LLP Today for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been adversely affected by the Gardasil HPV vaccine, you deserve justice. At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, our mass torts attorneys specialize in representing individuals in lawsuits against large corporations like Merck, and we will fight to protect you and your rights every step of the way.
Don’t wait to seek help. Contact us today at (800) 260-7197 for a free case consultation and learn how our Gardasil lawsuit attorneys can advocate for your right to fair compensation.