The Paragard intrauterine device (IUD) is meant to provide a reliable and safe contraceptive option. However, for far too many, this medical device has resulted in life-altering complications and devastating consequences. If you or a loved one have experienced harm due to the Paragard IUD, you deserve justice.
At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, our Paragard IUD lawsuit attorneys are dedicated to supporting those affected by the complications caused by this device. With a meticulous approach, we will thoroughly investigate your case and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose the Attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP?
- Our law firm is committed to holding companies accountable for the injuries caused by their dangerous or defective products. If you were injured by a Paragard IUD, we will fight tirelessly to recover maximum compensation on your behalf.
- Our attorneys have a proven track record of success, having helped thousands of clients obtain justice and securing over $500,000,000 in settlements and verdicts in a five-year period alone.
- We offer our legal services on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay if we secure a settlement in your case. This ensures that you can pursue your Paragard lawsuit without any upfront costs.
What Is the Paragard IUD?
The Paragard IUD is a non-hormonal intrauterine device used for long-term birth control. Its T-shaped design allows for placement within the uterus, where it works by releasing copper ions that create an inhospitable environment for sperm, preventing fertilization of the egg.
Paragard provides a different choice for women seeking to prevent pregnancy without the hormone-related side effects associated with other IUDs. Unlike hormonal IUDs, which release small amounts of progestin into the body to thicken cervical mucus and thin the uterine lining, Paragard offers a hormone-free alternative. It can remain effective for up to 10 years and can be removed at any time by a healthcare provider.
Common Injuries Caused by Paragard
Unfortunately, numerous complications and severe injuries have been associated with the use of the Paragard IUD. Some of these include:
- Breakage of the IUD during removal, leaving fragments inside the body
- Expulsion of the IUD from the uterus or the device falling out
- Migration of the IUD to other parts of the body, requiring surgery to locate and remove
- Ectopic pregnancy, a life-threatening condition where the fertilized egg implants outside the uterus
- Organ damage due to the device perforating the uterus or migrating to other locations
- Allergic reactions to the copper in the device, resulting in inflammation and discomfort
- Infections, potentially leading to more serious conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease
- Severe inflammation caused by the body’s response to the foreign object
- Cases where the IUD becomes lodged in the uterus, necessitating surgical intervention for removal
- Hysterectomies forced by complications from the IUD
- Perforation of the uterine wall or cervix, leading to pain, bleeding, and potential damage to surrounding organs
- Scarring and damage to other organs, which can lead to long-term health problems
The consequences of these injuries can be serious and potentially life-threatening, warranting immediate medical attention. Paragard IUD injuries can lead to long-term physical and emotional distress and, in severe cases, death.
Who Qualifies for a Paragard IUD Lawsuit?
If you were injured by a Paragard IUD, you can experience a range of financial, physical, and emotional hardships. In these situations, you may be eligible to recover compensation to address the harm that you have experienced. By filing a lawsuit against Paragard’s manufacturer, you can secure a settlement to help pay for medical care, lost wages, and more.
The main requirement for filing a Paragard IUD lawsuit is the ability to demonstrate that the device harmed you. If you can provide evidence that Paragard led to serious health complications, you are likely in a position to take legal action.
Did you experience health problems or injuries due to the Paragard IUD? Did you need to undergo a surgical procedure, such as a hysterectomy, caesarian section, or other exploratory surgery, due to complications from this device? If yes, then you likely qualify for litigation.
Certain complications may also make you eligible for a Paragard lawsuit, such as:
- Migration of the IUD to the stomach or pelvis
- Abnormal bleeding
- Punctured uterus or Fallopian tubes
- Unplanned pregnancy with an increased risk of ectopic pregnancy
If you believe that you qualify for a Paragard IUD lawsuit, it is critical to schedule a legal consultation as soon as possible. A product liability attorney from Estey & Bomberger, LLP can assess your case and determine your optimal path to financial recovery.
How to File a Paragard IUD Lawsuit
When faced with complications due to a Paragard IUD, taking the first step toward legal recourse can seem daunting. The initial and most crucial step in filing a lawsuit is to consult with an attorney who specializes in these types of cases. A Paragard lawsuit attorney will guide you through the process, ensuring that your rights are protected and your best interests are served.
A Paragard IUD lawsuit typically involves the following steps:
- Filing a Complaint: If your attorney determines that you have a valid case, they will file a formal lawsuit on your behalf against the responsible parties. This document will outline your allegations and the compensation you are seeking.
- Discovery: This stage involves both sides collecting evidence. This might include medical records, expert testimonies, and depositions, which your attorney will use to build a strong case.
- Negotiations: Prior to a trial, your attorney may attempt to negotiate a settlement with the other party’s lawyers. If they can agree on a fair amount, the case can be resolved without going to trial.
- Trial: If a settlement cannot be agreed upon, your case will go to trial where your attorney will present your case before a judge or a jury. The court will be responsible for determining whether you are eligible for compensation and the value of your award.
Class Actions vs MDL vs Individual Lawsuits
When filing a Paragard lawsuit, it is crucial to understand the difference between an individual lawsuit, a class action, and multidistrict litigation (MDL). An individual lawsuit is when you, the plaintiff, file a suit on your own against the manufacturer. Class actions and MDLs, on the other hand, involve a group of people who have all suffered similar injuries due to the same product, like the Paragard IUD.
In a class action lawsuit, one or a few individuals represent the interests of a larger group, or class, that has suffered similar harm. If the class action lawsuit is successful, the compensation awarded is divided among all members of the class. The outcome of this lawsuit applies universally to all members, regardless of the extent or severity of their situations. Currently, there are no active class actions related to Paragard IUD, but that could change in the future.
MDL, however, is a special legal procedure conducted in federal court that is designed to quickly process a large number of similar cases. It streamlines common pretrial proceedings, such as discovery, while preserving the details of individual cases. Plaintiffs in the MDL will receive a portion of the settlement based on the extent and severity of their injuries. Currently, there is an active MDL regarding Paragard IUD pending in Georgia federal court.
Choosing the best course of action can be complex and depends on the specifics of your case. An attorney can provide counsel on whether to join the MDL, wait for a potential class action, or file an individual lawsuit. Your lawyer will consider the specifics of your case, the current legal landscape, and what will offer the best chance for a successful outcome.
What to Do If You Experience Paragard-Related Injuries
If you experience any injuries or complications related to the Paragard IUD, your immediate priority should be to seek medical attention. Go to the nearest hospital or emergency department for assistance. In an emergency, call 911.
Once your condition is stable, it is crucial to document everything meticulously. This includes your symptoms, medical appointments, treatments, and any related expenses. These documents could be pivotal in supporting your case later on.
Finally, consult with a Paragard IUD lawsuit attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. Your lawyer can help you understand your rights and explore the possibility of filing a lawsuit. Then, he or she can help you take your first steps toward justice.
How a Paragard IUD Lawsuit Attorney Can Support Your Case
Navigating a legal case can be complex and daunting, especially when you’re also dealing with physical and emotional trauma from a medical device that was meant to help you. In these situations, you need an attorney on your side.
A Paragard IUD lawsuit attorney brings not only legal expertise but also a deep understanding of the issues surrounding this defective medical device. Your lawyer can provide crucial support and guidance during this challenging time, offering a range of benefits:
- Assessment of Your Case: Your attorney can evaluate the specifics of your situation and form an effective legal strategy based on your needs and goals.
- Gathering and Analyzing Evidence: Your lawyer can collect and examine necessary medical records, testimonies, and other crucial evidence, as well as consult with experts who can testify on your behalf.
- Negotiations with Responsible Parties: Your attorney can handle discussions with corporate legal teams or insurance providers, aiming to achieve the best possible settlement.
- Representation in Court: If your case goes to trial, your attorney will fight for your rights and interests, presenting your case in a compelling and comprehensive manner.
- Guidance Through Legal Procedures: A Paragard IUD lawyer can guide you through the legal process, ensuring all paperwork is filed correctly and deadlines are met.
What Is the Average Settlement for a Paragard Lawsuit?
The value of a Paragard IUD lawsuit can vary widely. Each case is unique, influenced by specific circumstances and the extent of the damages sustained. Therefore, an average settlement amount can be challenging to estimate.
There are several categories of damages you might be able to claim in your lawsuit. For example:
- Medical Expenses: This includes all costs related to the treatment of your injuries, including hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and future medical care.
- Lost Wages: If your injuries have caused you to miss work, your settlement can help pay for the income you lost during that period.
- Loss of Earning Capacity: If your injuries prevent you from earning as much as you could have before the injury or from returning to work at all, you can claim compensation for this long-term financial loss.
- Pain and Suffering: This pertains to physical discomfort and emotional distress experienced as a result of the injuries, including chronic pain, depression, anxiety, or loss of enjoyment of life.
Several factors can influence the amount of compensation you might receive. These can include the severity and permanence of your injury, the impact on your quality of life, whether you’ve suffered any loss of income, and your ability to work in the future. An attorney from Estey & Bomberger, LLP can provide a more accurate estimate based on the details of your case and help you understand the potential value of your personal injury claim.
How Long Do You Have to File a Paragard IUD Claim?
The amount of time you have to file a Paragard IUD claim, also known as the statute of limitations, depends on your state of residence. The statute of limitations can be as short as one year or as long as four or five years. Typically, the clock starts ticking either from the date of the injury or the date the injury was discovered.
Filing your claim before the statute of limitations runs out is very important; if you miss the deadline, the court will likely dismiss your claim for compensation. Because these laws can be complex and vary from state to state, it is essential to speak with an attorney to understand the filing deadline applicable to your case.
Schedule a Free Case Consultation Today
If you or a loved one have experienced complications or injuries related to the Paragard IUD, it is crucial to seek legal guidance as soon as possible. In these situations, trust the attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP to fight for your right to recovery.
Call (800) 260-7197 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free, confidential consultation with a Paragard IUD lawsuit attorney.