Request A Free Consultation

Car Accident FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Auto Accidents

An automotive accident is a scary experience for everyone involved. If you were injured in a car accident, you may not know where to turn. Consult our FAQs for a comprehensive look at car accidents.

I was injured in a motor vehicle accident. What should I do next?

  • Call the police and seek necessary medical attention
  • Maintain bodily safety by exiting the roadway completely
  • Obtain information from the other driver and any nearby witnesses
  • Note all memories of the accident and actions that followed
  • Keep record of all medical attention and repairs after the accident
  • Collaborate with an experienced auto accident lawyer

Why should I get a lawyer after a car accident?

An experienced auto accident lawyer in San Diego, CA knows your rights better than anyone and is able to protect them fully. Working with insurance companies can be a lengthy ordeal, and you should be able to focus on recovery from injury. Let us take care of the legal backlash. 

How soon should I seek legal counsel after my accident?

The sooner the better. Though we will wait to file your claim until all medical treatment has been administered and the vehicle repairs have been estimated, we can help you work with the police and the insurance companies throughout the process.

Why do I need a police report following an accident?

A police report is a valuable, unbiased piece of evidence for your case. Police reports hold up fully in court. Police are also an important asset on the scene to mediate any further interaction between you and the other driver, or to advocate for you in the case of a hit and run.

Should I release my medical records to the insurance company?

No! This could hurt your case significantly. If an insurance company requests your medical records, consult a lawyer before releasing anything. 

The insurance company is offering a decent settlement. Should I accept?

No! In most cases, we can get you a better settlement than what the insurance company offers. Insurance companies make preliminary offers to close the case quickly and avoid trial. This will not benefit you.

What happens if I am partially at fault for the accident?

Comparative negligence in court will determine your percentage of fault against the other driver’s, and damages will be split accordingly. 

Can I file a claim if I am a passenger who is injured in an accident?

Yes, absolutely. You can file a claim against the responsible driver whether you were in the at-fault vehicle or the other vehicle. 

What if the other driver is uninsured or leaves the scene?

Often, your own insurance can protect you through Uninsured Motorist coverage. However, your insurance company and the police can track down a driver who leaves the scene with enough identifiers.

Can I file a claim against my vehicle’s manufacturer?

Absolutely. If it can be determined that your vehicle was in an accident as a result of a product defect, the manufacturer may be responsible. 

Would my reimbursement include payment for time off of work?

Yes. Successful settlements can cover lost wages.

Who is responsible for providing a rental vehicle during my vehicle’s repair?

If complete fault is placed on the other driver, his or her insurance company will provide a rental. If liability is being debated, you should be able to obtain a rental from your insurance company, and your company can dispute reimbursement with the other company.

I feel okay following my car accident. Should I see a doctor?

Probably. Many back and neck injuries can become symptomatic after the fact, but a doctor can determine if your body was affected by the impact.

What if the doctor says I will never recover from injuries sustained in my accident?

Individuals who sustain permanent injury, disability, and a significant reduction in quality of life following an accident may be eligible for much greater recovery in court. Discuss your options with your attorney for best results.

To learn more about recovering damages incurred during a car accident in which you were involved, contact Estey & Bomberger today.