Los Angeles Brain Injury Attorney
More than 1.3 million people visit an emergency room to receive treatment for a brain injury every year. Approximately 35 percent of those are children aged 14 and younger. If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury, medical expenses, lost wages and recovery time can put a heavy financial burden on you and your family. If your injury was caused by the negligence of others, you and your family deserve fair compensation.
Estey & Bomberger, LLP has decades of experience handling brain injury cases. Our Los Angeles brain injury attorneys have secured more than $50 million in verdicts and settlements for brain injury victims and their families – including a $20 million settlement in a birth brain injury/medical malpractice case, the largest settlement ever in a California malpractice case.. We handle all cases on a contingent fee basis and your consultation is always free.
“My injuries were: mild brain injury, fractured temple, broke my cheekbone in two places, and really messed up my right shoulder. Mike Bomberger was there for me from Day 1.” — Rachelle Smith
“I was extremely satisfied. I never thought we would settle the case for so much. Everybody at the office treated us well. Every time we called, they handled whatever situation was happening.” –James S.
Whether your brain injury was the result of a car accident, motorcycle accident, slip and fall or medical malpractice, we have handled it before. Let us leverage our experience for your family, so you can focus on recovery.
Common Causes of Brain Injury
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can lead to impairments in cognitive function, seizures, memory loss, changes in behavior and brain damage. Some of the more common causes of TBI include:
- Slip and falls – A slip, trip or fall can lead to serious brain injury, and are the cause of more than 35 percent of them.
- Auto accidents – The blunt force trauma that often occurs in a car accident can lead to damaging concussions, skull fractures and other internal brain injuries.
- Sports accident – Cycling accidents are responsible for twice the amount of brain injuries that football is in a given year, contrary to popular belief.
- Swimming accidents – Drowning deprives oxygen to the brain, meaning that if the person’s life is saved, the effects will still be irreversible.
All of these types of accidents can be caused by the negligence of others. An unsafe work environment, a distracted driver or an irresponsible homeowner can be held liable for a brain injury sustained under these and many other circumstances. A diligent brain injury attorney can fight on your behalf to be sure those who were negligent are held responsible.
Effects of Brain Injury
A TBI has varying degrees of significance, based on the symptoms present and how critical they were; for example, losing consciousness for a few seconds is far less serious than losing consciousness for a few minutes. How serious the injury is defines how doctors will proceed to treat it, which is done in part by classifying the brain injury into one of two general categories:
- Mild to moderate – Loss of consciousness or disorientation for 30 minutes or less, fatigue, headaches and memory less are common here. This injury is still very dangerous because the symptoms sometimes go unnoticed for an extended period of time.
- Moderate to severe – Loss of consciousness can last six hours or more, motor function is affected, nausea, slurred speech and loss of memory are usual symptoms. If medical attention is not sought as soon as possible, the injury could be fatal.
Even a mild TBI can present symptoms which last a year or more. Headaches, occasional dizziness and fatigue can linger and affect your daily life, even after the doctor visits and prescription medications have ceased.
How to Choose the Right Brain Injury Attorney
Finding an attorney while attempting to juggle physical therapy, medication schedules and expenses can be stressful, but if you know what to look for in the right attorney, the process will be simpler. Here are some helpful tips:
- Ask the attorney about prior case results. Their experience in handling brain injury cases will play a big role in the settlement you receive.
- Ask to meet with the lawyer who will actually handle your case, if not speaking to them already. You should always be able to meet face-to-face with your attorney.
- Ask how they can best be contacted. An attorney should be accessible and open with you.
- Ask about their fee structure. You should know how the attorney expects to be paid.
At Estey & Bomberger, LLP, we are open and honest. You will never be kept out of the loop, you will always have an easy time contacting your attorney, and we do not accept a fee unless we win your case.
Los Angeles Brain Injury Attorney
The attorneys at Estey & Bomberger, LLP are compassionate and dedicated for their clients. We understand that when you are injured, you should focus on recovering. Our attorneys handle all paperwork, evidence gathering and negotiations to alleviate your worry. We devote our time and energy to the Steve Estey and Mike Bomberger, founding partners, started this firm based on a commitment to integrity, honesty and respect for their clients.
We’re able to do this because we understand that medical bills and lost wages are not the only effects of a brain injury; pain and suffering, emotional anguish and loss of consortium are damages which deserve compensation as well. Our firm will ensure that your are compensated fairly for everything. You can place your confidence in our firm to handle your case with the care and attention it deserves. Call Estey & Bomberger, LLP today to set up your free consultation.