(619) 295-0035
call for a free consultation

How to Handle a Hit and Run

Hit-and-run accidents happen all too often in San Diego. From parking lot backups to sideswipes on busy streets, you never know when you’ll end up the victim of a careless hit-and-run driver. In these situations, you may feel at a loss as to who will cover your damages. Your vehicle may have sustained expensive harms, or you may have suffered serious personal injuries with no one around to face liability. Here are five steps to successfully handle a hit-and-run case involving bodily injury or property damage in California.

  1. Gather as Much Information as Possible

When another car hits you or your vehicle and speeds off, you have no contact information to record. That does not mean you can’t use other important information to help your claims process run smoother. At the time of the incident, record as much information as possible. This includes your location or that of your parked vehicle, photographs of damages, medical bills, and eyewitness names and contact information. Ask around to see if anyone saw the hit-and-run vehicle and could describe what it looked like. If you happen to see the license plate, make, model, or type of car that hit you, write this down as well.

  1. Take Photographs

Photographs are excellent forms of evidence in a hit-and-run case and can be especially helpful in proving your damages to your insurance company. Insurers are often wary of hit-and-run claims, as they can be red flags for fraud. Taking photographs at the scene of the incident can help prove your story. If another vehicle’s paint is visible on your car, take photos. The more pictures you have of what happened, the better off the investigators will be in searching for the perpetrator.

  1. File a Police Report

Always report a hit-and-run collision to San Diego police. Although finding the perpetrator is rare, it does happen. Involving the police can improve your chances of identifying the driver and holding him or her liable for your damages. An official police report of the incident can also serve as proof in an insurance claim. File an official accident report if the police officer doesn’t do so for you. This report should include all vital details of the accident, including the names of any eyewitnesses.

  1. Call Your Insurance Company

If the police cannot find the person who hit you or your vehicle, your next option for damage recovery is through your insurance company. California has minimum car insurance requirements for all citizens. This includes $5,000 in property damage, $15,000 for injury or death to one person, and $30,000 for more than one person. Hit-and-run damage coverage is not a requirement for policyholders; it is an additional form of insurance with the title “uninsured/underinsured motorist” insurance. Report your incident to your insurance company and ask if your policy carries this type of insurance.

  1. Seek Compensation for Damages

If your insurance policy includes uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your insurer will cover your damages as if the other driver had stayed on scene but lacked proper insurance. In this case, simply follow the insurance agent’s instructions for filing your claim and receiving your check to cover your personal injuries and/or property damage. Should the police identify the driver but he/she doesn’t have enough insurance coverage, you may seek compensation through the California court system. Without this insurance coverage and without a driver to take responsibility, you may be at a loss for recovering damages. Speak to an attorney regarding a hit-and-run car accident if it resulted in considerable injury or property damage.

Start your recovery today

If you are hesitant to contact us about your claim, it may help you to gain an understanding of what personal injury law is, and what is is not. We are ready to help you. Whether you prefer talking on the phone, coming into our office in San Diego, or you need us to come to where you are, please give us a call today at (619) 295-0035 to schedule an appointment.

No fees unless we win

Free Case Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Estey & Bomberger, LLP

2018 Undergraduate Scholarship

At Estey & Bomberger, LLP we understand the importance of a college education, while at the same time knowing how expensive college can be. We are proud to announce the Estey & Bomberger, LLP 2018 Undergraduate Scholarship. The cost of college tuition is now higher than ever and our goal is to take some of the financial burden off of dedicated and hard working students.


We are offering $2,000 to one student whom is in the final year of high school or currently enrolled as undergraduates at an accredited college or university in the United States. Applicants must be 17 years of age or older. There is no restriction on your field of study.


$2,000 awarded one time.


  • The deadline to apply for this scholarship is August 30, 2018.
  • Winner will be announced by: September 30, 2018.

We will notify the scholarship winner by either phone or email and the winner will be announced on our firms social media accounts.

To Apply

Please fill out the form below as completely as possible. Do not include additional material not asked for in the application.

Undergraduate Scholarship From

Please Fill Out the Form Below (*Required fields)

  • Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf.