(619) 295-0035
call for a free consultation

Who Pays Out for a Car Accident Claim? the Driver or the Driver’s Insurance Company?

Posted on October 18th, 2016 by 1point21

Winning a settlement for your car accident claim can be such a relief that you don’t stop to ask who will pay for your damages. You might not care – as long as someone pays your settlement. Knowing who will pay out for your car accident claim in California, however, is important in deciding whether pursuing a claim is worth it. If the defendant will pay, for example, he or she may declare bankruptcy and you’ll never see your reward. An insurance company, on the other hand, will have the funds to pay out. If you’re considering pursuing a settlement for your car accident, first identify where the money will come from if you win.

Who Has Insurance?

Who will pay out your claim often depends on whether or not the defendant has car insurance. Although California requires drivers to carry minimum car insurance coverage of at least $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for property damage, hundreds of people illegally drive around without insurance. If you happen to be in an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance, you may turn to your own company for compensation.

You also may need to speak to your own insurance company if the other driver’s company refuses to admit that its insured person caused the accident. If you can’t provide proof of your own losses or out-of-pocket expenses, the insurance company will say that you’re not entitled to compensation. An insurance company will only give a settlement offer if you provide information and documentation proving the other party’s fault, your losses, and your expenses.

If you both have car insurance, either company may pay for damages. Knowing which company is best to pay depends on the situation. While you won’t have to pay a deductible if the other driver’s insurance company pays for repairs, you lose certain rights under your own insurance policy – such as cost-effective and quick-dispute resolutions. Other considerations include knowing if the other driver has enough insurance to adequately cover your damages.

California’s $5,000 minimum for property damage is lower than many other states that typically set the bar at $10,000. For this reason, many car accident cases in California require two insurance companies or out-of-pocket payments to cover costs.

When Will the Driver Pay?

The only situations in which the driver would pay out-of-pocket is if you keep the deal under the table or if neither one of you carries car insurance. Keeping a car accident settlement between only you and the other driver is risky, as the other driver could give you false contact information and leave. If you didn’t report the accident to police or your insurance company, the law can’t help you recover damages from the defendant who fled. Trusting a stranger to pay for your damages without involving an insurance company or an attorney is a recipe for disaster.

If the other driver doesn’t have insurance and neither do you, the at-fault driver will have to pay for damages out-of-pocket. It’s wise to contact an attorney in this situation instead of simply trusting the other driver to pay for your damages – especially if you’re coping with a personal injury from the crash. If the at-fault driver can’t afford your damages, you may have to pay for repairs out of your own pocket if neither of you carry insurance. Unfortunately, you can’t collect damages from someone who has nothing. Therefore, if an at-fault driver doesn’t carry insurance and can’t afford costs out of pocket, you may be out of luck. Always report to your insurance company and consult with an attorney following a car accident.

Start your recovery today

If you are hesitant to contact us about your claim, it may help you to gain an understanding of what personal injury law is, and what is is not. We are ready to help you. Whether you prefer talking on the phone, coming into our office in San Diego, or you need us to come to where you are, please give us a call today at (619) 295-0035 to schedule an appointment.

No fees unless we win

Free Case Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Estey & Bomberger, LLP

2019 Undergraduate Scholarship

At Estey & Bomberger, LLP we understand the importance of a college education, while at the same time knowing how expensive college can be. We are proud to announce the Estey & Bomberger, LLP 2019 Undergraduate Scholarship. The cost of college tuition is now higher than ever and our goal is to take some of the financial burden off of dedicated and hard working students.


We are offering $2,000 to one student whom is in the final year of high school or currently enrolled as undergraduates at an accredited college or university in the United States. Applicants must be 17 years of age or older. There is no restriction on your field of study.


Help us to make the world safer! To apply, please write an essay (minimum 750 words) explaining a current public safety issue in our society, and your proposed solution to the problem. Be creative :)

The issue can be either public or consumer safety. We will then select a winner from the submissions we receive.


$2,000 awarded one time.


  • The deadline to apply for this scholarship is March 31, 2019.
  • Winner will be announced by April 30, 2019.

We will notify the scholarship winner by either phone or email and the winner will be announced on our firms social media accounts.

To Apply

Please fill out the form on this page as completely as possible. Please upload your essay using the submission button with the form. Also please submit a digital copy of the acceptance letter from your college or graduate school. The accepted file types: doc, docx and pdf. Do not include additional material not asked for in the application. Good luck!

Undergraduate Scholarship From

Please Fill Out the Form Below (*Required fields)

  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf.