(619) 295-0035
call for a free consultation

Bicycle Accident FAQs

Riding a bicycle on highly trafficked roads can be quite dangerous. However, if you are struck by a motorist or injured in an accident while cycling, you still have rights. For your convenience, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to help you understand your case.

I was injured in an accident on my bicycle. What do I do next?

  • Contact the police
  • Photograph the site and take physical evidence
  • Keep a written, detailed record of your memories of the incident
  • Gather pertinent information from the driver and available witnesses
  • Contact a bicycle accident lawyer

How soon should I meet with a lawyer following my accident?

As soon as possible. Though you will want to file your claim after all medical treatment and rehabilitation have been paid for, to get the most from insurance, a lawyer can be of service from the beginning, including evidence retrieval.

In an accident between a bicycle and car, is the motorist always at fault?

Not necessarily. Bicyclists have responsibilities on the road; if fault is uncertain or debated in an accident, the court will take as much evidence as is available and determine a shared percentage of fault to divide the damages appropriately.

Are there responsibilities owed to bicyclists by motorists on the road?

Yes. Motorists are expected to watch for cyclists and never cross into marked bike lanes. Cyclists are also treated as pedestrians in terms of crosswalks and intersections.

Are there special laws that govern my behavior on the roadway, as a cyclist?

Yes. Driving on the appropriate side of the road, outfitting yourself with reflective gear, watching for motorists, and observing sidewalks and bike lanes are all required.

What damages might I be able to accrue through a lawsuit?

  • Coverage for medical bills
  • Bicycle repair
  • Coverage for lost wages

Can I still file a claim if I was partially at fault for the accident?

Absolutely. The court will determine percentage of fault by assessing the case. Damages can then be adjusted depending on negligence.

What should I do if my loved one was killed by a motorist while cycling?

You may be entitled to compensation if you are financially burdened by the death of a loved one. This type of case would fall under Wrongful Death.

Can I file a claim if I was attacked or obstructed by a dog while riding?

Potentially. If the dog owner violated leash laws and his or her pet was obstructing the road or bike path, you may be eligible for damages.

What should I do if I was struck by a hit and run driver?

If you are physically able to, call the police. Provide as much identifying information about the vehicle, the driver, and your whereabouts as possible. If possible, find witnesses immediately. In many cases, police are able to track down the responsible party, especially if license plate information is obtained. In cases where the driver was not identified, turn to your own insurance company’s Uninsured Motorist liability coverage. An experienced lawyer can assist this process.

Does my automotive insurance protect me while cycling?

Not in California. However, the other motorist’s insurance will if you are in an accident with a motor vehicle. The only exception is when you are harmed by another motorist and he or she leaves the scene or has no insurance. In that case, the uninsured motorist portion of your own insurance can assist you.

Is there such a thing as bicycle insurance?

Yes, there are companies that insure cyclists for liability up to $100,000.

If you have been injured in a bicycle accident and believe you are eligible for compensation due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing, contact the law offices of Estey & Bomberger today.

Client Review

“I was extremely satisfied. I never thought we would settle the case for so much. Everybody at the office treated us well. Every time we called, they handled whatever situation was happening.”
James S.

What is your case worth?

Get a Free Case Evaluation!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Start your recovery today

If you are hesitant to contact us about your claim, it may help you to gain an understanding of what personal injury law is, and what is is not. We are ready to help you. Whether you prefer talking on the phone, coming into our office in San Diego, or you need us to come to where you are, please give us a call today at (619) 295-0035 to schedule an appointment.

No fees unless we win

Free Case Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Estey & Bomberger, LLP

2018 Undergraduate Scholarship

At Estey & Bomberger, LLP we understand the importance of a college education, while at the same time knowing how expensive college can be. We are proud to announce the Estey & Bomberger, LLP 2018 Undergraduate Scholarship. The cost of college tuition is now higher than ever and our goal is to take some of the financial burden off of dedicated and hard working students.


We are offering $2,000 to one student whom is in the final year of high school or currently enrolled as undergraduates at an accredited college or university in the United States. Applicants must be 17 years of age or older. There is no restriction on your field of study.


$2,000 awarded one time.


  • The deadline to apply for this scholarship is August 30, 2018.
  • Winner will be announced by: September 30, 2018.

We will notify the scholarship winner by either phone or email and the winner will be announced on our firms social media accounts.

To Apply

Please fill out the form below as completely as possible. Do not include additional material not asked for in the application.

Undergraduate Scholarship From

Please Fill Out the Form Below (*Required fields)

  • Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf.